Inglis Yearling Sale May 2022

The Sydney version of the Inglis May yearling sale 2022 is about to get underway. With 287 lots on offer you would think there would be plenty of variety. However, with 26% of yearlings inbred to Danehill and his close relations, the variety Is not as broad as you might expect. We have already discussed the merit or otherwise of inbreeding to Danehill. Outcomes tell us it is not a great return. The other 74% of the draft has many new sires making their way. There is little or no data to conclude whether they will be a success or not.  Nevertheless, there will be bargains here, finding them is the task. I have selected only one horse I like and made comments about another

Lot 38 b f Choisir – Calaway Cruizer

Choisir needs little introduction as a heavyweight racehorse and international sire. A total of 144 SW, m/f ratio 76/68, and SW/R of 4.67%. Says it all. On the female side of Lot 38,there isn’t much with a 6GFI of 2.0. However, one generation back on the female tail line is Tranquil Star. A true champion filly that won the 1942 Caulfield Cup and the Cox Plates of 1942 and 1944. If Choisir can unlock the right genes, a high quality racehorse will be the result. The PRI score for Lot 38 is 85.8 which is certainly in the winners category.


What about the cross Choisir x High Chaparral? Through his son Starspangledbanner, the Choisir line has produced The Wow Signal (G1 Prix Morny 6f in France, G2 Coventry Stakes in GB) and California Spangle (L race,1811m in Hong Kong).

Lot 48 b c Merchant Navy – Crazyonyou

This horse may be of interest from a breeding aspect. It is an example of a delta cross. We have been down this track before (see Dec 2002 post). In this case the cross between brother (Fastnet Rock) and sister (Saratosa). As discussed before, this type of breeding has produced true champions in the past. Lando, the German super horse a Japan Cup winner, and Habibti, one of Europe’s greatest sprinters are two examples.

In the 2020 sales we recommended Lot 209 (a delta cross between brother Redoute’s Choice and sister Monsoon Wedding) . The horse ran in NZ as Meritable and has done pretty well (5 starts 1-3-0) and has run second in both a G1 and a G2.

It may be difficult to find the right horse in this sale. However, the Inglis May yearling sale 2022 is the place to find them. Good Luck.