Inglis Australian Broodmare Sale 2023 follows the Inglis Chairman’s Sale. The Broodmare Sale has several interesting mares. A buyer must be aware that not only they will meet the initial outlay for a mare in foal but should budget for spending a minimum of $40-50 thousand to the time of her progeny’s first race. When I consider purchasing a mare in foal, I closely examine two factors.
- The progeny resulting from the mating should be investigated as one would for a yearling at a Sale. Of course, examination of physical characteristics is not possible. One needs to rely on the previous history of the mare and siblings. A PRI calculation is a good start.
- A close examination of the data in the catalogue. I have developed a system (MMI, Mare’s Mating Index). My system is open ended (like the earthquake Richter scale). Numbers go from zero to over 2000. The average is 415.
I have selected three mares in the Inglis Australian Broodmare Sale which warrant consideration.
Lot 263 b m Paper Plane (Fastnet Rock – Luminous Eyes) : Served by Wootton Bassett
- The cross Wootton Bassett – Fastnet Rock has already produced one SW. Unanimous Consent was successful at L level in America over1710m. This cross has SW/r of 11.1%. The PRI score for the progeny is a healthy 87.5.
- The mare rates above average with MMI of 640. The 6GFI is a very impressive 18.8% The best horse down the female line is the dual G1 winner French horse Youmzain. Probably best known for coming second three times in the Arc.
Lot 300 b m Stars Are Out (Fastnet Rock – Moon is Up) : Served by Pride of Dubai
- The cross Pride of Dubai – Fastnet Rock has produced two SW. Saif was successful at G3 level over 1409m. Queen if Dubai has won a L race over1409m. This cross has SW/r of 10%. The PRI score for the progeny is 87.9.
- The mare rates a MMI of 520. The 6GFI is a healthy 14.8%. It is even more impressive when you consider that Miesque the dam of Kingmambo is part of the female line. From 913 foals he produced 85 SW (9.3%). Who wouldn’t want him in your female family?
Lot 330 b m All That I Know (More Than Ready – Lucida): Served by So You Think
- The cross So you Think – More Than Ready has produced a SW. Cognito was the winner of the G2 NZ Guineas over1409m. The PRI score of this progeny is a stellar 99.2.
- The mare rates above average with MMI of 520. The 6GFI is 12.5%. The female side of the pedigree has Eight Carat and all her related superstars.
If you want to see some quality mares, Inglis Australian Broodmare Sale is the place to be.